Contact:



Scottie Laughon
540-598-1229

TheShopKeeper@TheShopKeepersHouse.com

Saturday, February 28, 2009

:: Dilemmas and Difficult Decisions ::

"dilemma" (noun):
* a situation requiring a choice between equally undesirable alternatives

This is my dining room NOW ...

I have been TOLD that I cannot paint this panelling ... which, of course, makes the project all the more tempting ... and I agreed with that way-o-thinking ... for a long time ...
so, being the obedient wife and daughter that I am (or was!), I decorated my home AROUND the scarred and imperfect (I know, imperfect is not always bad) and dark panelling ... covering every wall with a piece of painted furniture & clutter, clutter, clutter ...
and somewhere along the way, I discovered a hidden talent for building, painting & distressing furniture and cabinets ...
which blessed me with a livelihood that is truly the passion of my life ...
So my journey is taking * ME * to where * I * need to be ... but somewhere, somehow my home has lost its spirit. And, THAT is my dilemma ...
:: do I continue to live with the dark, scarred & depressing panelling ::
or because, I want my home to look like this: :: do I follow the advice that I would surely give a client if they asked for my honest & professional opinion ... "RUN to the paint store!" ::

2 comments:

  1. We had the same paneling in the house that I grew up in. My grandfather had built the house and my mother had lived there as a girl, and then MY mother and father bought the house when I was 5. We lived with that paneling the entire time I lived there. My grandfather had included beautiful built-ins in the den. I guess it was "cutting edge" when he built the house. My mom finally decided to do a "pickled" effect to the wood instead of painting over it as everyone would have had a big fit if she had painted it. It basicly gave the wood a white-washed look, so you could still see the grain of the wood. You just didn't have that yellowed, shiny finish on it anymore. Once everyone in the family saw it, they thought it look great, even my grandpa!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my multitalented and much underappreciated wife Your are correct I didn't appreciate the miracles you provided our family with all those years. I would like to apologize to you know and let it be known it will not happen again. Please forgive my inattentiveness, seeing these photos zip realize what a wonderfully talented woman you are. I love you greatly I hope you can forgive me. Your husband Keith

    ReplyDelete